"The Center of the Megalithic Monuments" Top 5 Page for this destination Carnac by hquittner
Carnac Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 235 photos
The megaliths are in several places, obviously not in the town (pop. 3K) itself, except for the fine prehistory museum which we missed. We started our tour of Brittany in this area of Morbihan lodging at a small Inn (21 rooms) with an excellent restaurant (See Tip). It is 8 km east of Auray at Toulbroch (Baden) and was a fine base from which to tour the area. It was very convenient for the boat trip to the island of Gavrinis to see its cairn(tumulus) and its passage grave with puzzling stone carvings. After returning we went to Locmariaquer to see some dolmens and menhirs and on to Carnac to walk around the Alignements of world reknown. Late in the afternoon we still had time to drive past Quiberon to see the Cote Sauvage (on the Atlantic) and then return to a gourmet meal. The following morning we left for Pont Aven and points North.
Carnac town has two attractions. We missed the most important one, the museum (it has limited hours out of season, check). The Church of St. Cornely was open (but there was no pilgrimage going on). We also saw the Port. There is a separate beach town next to it Carnac Plage.
For many people this is a vacation at the beach but it seemed to us that going to Belle Isle would be preferable. Of course we do not live here and we were sightseers. There is no beach at the Cote Sauvage, I think.
- Pros:More Than Stonehenge
- Cons:If You Like This Stuff Do not Spend Only One Full Day
- In a nutshell:A Different Experience
The facade of the 17C Church of St. Cornely (the patron saint of horned cattle) is relatively severe. His statue stands... more travel advice
Quiberon is the name of a small town (pop 5K) and also the peninsula on which it sits. Alonng the west it fronts on the... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Carnac Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Center of the Megalithic Monuments"
- "Prehistoric, and Ancient Stone Formation"
- "And the big mystery is.. why?"
- "Megaliths at Carnac"
- "Brittany in general"
- "The land of the megalithes stones or the beaches!"
- "A surfeit of standing stones"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carnac
- Hotels in Carnac
- Transportation in Carnac
- Nightlife in Carnac
- Restaurants in Carnac
- Shopping in Carnac
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carnac
- 13 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Carnac?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carnac
Photos in CarnacSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos