"Goya By the River" Castres by hquittner
Castres Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 50 photos
Roughly halfway between Carcassonne and Albi (about 30 miles) Castres (pop. 43.1K) struck us as a fine day trip stop. We wee interested in seeing the Goya Museum there, which is said to have the largest holdings of Spanish paintings in France after the Louvre. We had not been to Spain in a decade and the museum also had 4 series of his etchings, some executed as acqua-tints, and all late works (from 1799 onwards) when he had become quirky. We had never seen them before and the number and content were overwhelming! We picked up a picnic lunch at the weekly market and ate in the Le Notre gardens of the Bishop's Palace which houses the museum (which is closed from 12-2PM). The Hotel de Ville is there too and the complex overlooks the fast-running Agout river. (We did not take a river cruise). After seeing the church (an ex-cathedral) we went on to Albi.
- Pros:A Large Immersion In a Great Master
- Cons:Remember to check the museum hours. (May be closed Monday)
- In a nutshell:Goya and the River Views Made the Stop
The fast-flowing Agout is a pretty sight when viewed from the low walled walkway at the top of an elevated bank on the... more travel advice
The church is Benedictine and dedicated to him (St.-Benoit). It was built starting in 1677 to replace the Abbey (founded... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Castres Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Castres -"
- "Don't miss the Goya Museum"
- "Goya By the River"
- "One day in a little but beautiful town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Castres
- 4 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Castres?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Castres
Photos in CastresSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos
Latest Castres hotel reviews
- Hotel de l'Europe
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 24, 2013