"Our First Glimpses of the Chateau of Chambord" Chambord by hquittner
Chambord Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 303 photos
We drove the 7 km. from the Chateau de Colliers where we had spent the previous two nights, by the D112 through the forested park past the feeding areas for the red deer (who were not in view). We had decided that it was not worth getting up before 6AM to see them feed. The day before we had visited the spacious tailored grounds of Chenonceau and the rambling and enclosing eminence of Blois on its plateau. This was entirely different. The vast fenced enclosure of a private game preserve is unusual. We arrived at the parking before we saw the castle. Beyond a lake-like moat reared up the extensive pile. Our eyeline saw amidst the mass, spiky tower-like structures like a compressed chessboard.
As we proceded from the parking area, the details became clear. There is a square central keep with corner turrets capped by lanterns and lateral wings leading to similar capped turrets. The spiky structures resolved into chimneys and dormers and in the center was a taller tower ultimately capped by fleur-de-lys. The elaborate and compelling Renaissance symmetry clearly proclaimed its beauty and importance.
- Pros:A Renaissance Beauty
- Cons:Hard to Get To
- In a nutshell:Well worth a Visit at least once
The Animal and Hunting Museum is a bland exhibition of the sport, but there is some viciousness and gore in evidence in... more travel advice
During the 15C it became clear that gunpowder and cannons made coventional fortresses obsolete for defense and safety.... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Chambord Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Royal experience, yes!!"
- "Chateau de Chambord"
- "Moscow - Chambord"
- "Fairytale Chateau."
- "Sharrie's Chambord Facade"
- "Château de Chambord"
- "Our First Glimpses of the Chateau of Chambord"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chambord
- Hotels in Chambord
- Transportation in Chambord
- Shopping in Chambord
- Warnings and Dangers in Chambord
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Chambord
- 14 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Chambord?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chambord
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos