"Home of Old Romanesque Structures" Charlieu by hquittner
Charlieu Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 35 photos
In 1000AD Charlieu (present pop. 3.7K) was a Burgundian border town. It is now located just inside the north border of the Rhone-Alpe Region (Loire department). In ancient times it received considerable attention from the Cluniacs who located a monastery with its church there (St.-Fortunat). Later during various church infightings a nunnery was also established ( Les Cordeliers).
We stopped here to look and eat lunch as part of a visit to the Brionnais Romanesque churches. This is a quiet town with much local interest in protecting and restoring its ancient heritage.
- Pros:Lots of ancient sculptural stonework.
- Cons:Need a car to see the area.
- In a nutshell:Ideal for Romanesque enthusiasts.
The capitals of the cloister are treated differently on each side. One side has foliage designs, while other deal with... more travel advice
A slight distance away in the town from the monastery is the complex known as the Convent des Cordeliers. The outside is... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Charlieu Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Charlieu
- 7 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Charlieu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Charlieu
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos