"More Interesting Romanesque Art Here" Chauvigny by hquittner
Chauvigny Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 49 photos
Chauvigny (pop. 7.1K) is a thriving town 15 miles east of Poitiers on N151. We stopped there en route to St. Savin slightly further east, on our way back to Paris . It was our last day to devote to the Romanesque. We had learned that the capitals in the church of St.-Pierre had been over-restored during the 19C but since they were of the earliest group known, we wanted to study them. The restoration is indeed imaginative and vivid, but you must see for yourself (or read our further Tips). They are different!
From the bluff where we parked, a nice view of the lower town was available to us. In one view we made out the tower of the Church of Notre-Dame in the lower town.
For castle buffs, Chauvigny retains the ruins of several of them, nearby on the bluff where St. Pierre stands and also nearby. In fact we parked next to one,the Donjon of the castle of Gouzon, which houses a Musee of "industrial archeology" (whatever that is; we did not go in).
- Pros:Something Different in Romanesque Art
- Cons:It May Present Aesthetic Conflicts
- In a nutshell:The Stonework Alone Is Interesting
If you are a castle buff, there are several in varying degrees of disrepair in the area. There are three close to the... more travel advice
The capitals of the blind wall arcades are more fanciful, less violent , simpler than those in the choir and use the... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Chauvigny Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More Interesting Romanesque Art Here"
- "Five Castles ... Count em ... Five!"
- "On the Cliffs, stands the Medieval City"
- "Chauvigny, lovely place to stop."
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Chauvigny
- 7 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Chauvigny?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chauvigny
Photos in ChauvignySee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos