"Right Place But All Wet!" Colleville-sur-Mer by hquittner
Colleville-sur-Mer Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 70 photos
After leaving Hoc Point, we drove east on D514 ,through towns all suffixed as "-sur-Mer", namely Vierville, St.-Laurent and turning off left just before Colleville. The road took us to the parking area for the American Military Cemetery. As soon as we got out of the car the rains came again.
Heavy rain is not conducive to good sightseeing, especially near the sea and with a 10 yr. old. It deterred us from going the distance down to the shore or from lingering over many details. It is also difficult to keep a dry lens for photography.
But for quirks of chance I might have been in this invasion, and thanks to Hiroshima, I was saved from the one in Japan, that never occurred. But I paid homage to the patients I never attended.
- Pros:Solemn as it should be
- Cons:Although almost 10K of crosses is a lot, it does not shock like the real number
- In a nutshell:Do you know this is USA in France?
Before the colonnade is a pool with paths along its edges and lateral to that on each side two rows of tall trees. These... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Colleville-sur-Mer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "American Memorial Sites in Normandy, France"
- "Requiescant in pace"
- "American Military Cemetery at Omaha Beach"
- "D-Day, Omaha beach and the price of liberty"
- "Right Place But All Wet!"
- "Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial"
- "Remembering D-Day"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Colleville-sur-Mer
- Hotels in Colleville-sur-Mer
- Restaurants in Colleville-sur-Mer
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Colleville-sur-Mer
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Colleville-sur-Mer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Colleville-sur-Mer
Photos in Colleville-sur-MerSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos