"Home of a Most Splendid Cathedral" Coutances by hquittner
Coutances Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 95 photos
Coutances (pop. 12K) has what we consider as one of the finest of the early Gothic Cathedrals. It is our favorite, the equal (not counting the windows) of Chartres and Laon.(We are not alone in this idea). It is Norman, with strong towers and lots of minor turrets, almost all surmounted by spires like a militant structure of worship. It is built on the base of a 1056 predecessor that was razed (1218) in the wars that incorporated Normandy into France. Rebuilding was completed between 1235-55, at the height of the post-Chartres church-building surge. The earlier church was the result of heavy soliciting by the Bishop Geoffrey de Montbray who dunned the now rich (and guilty?)Hauteville clan in Southern Italy and Sicily for the needed funds (Hauteville-sur-Mer is 10 km SE; unfortunately there is nothing to see there). The most remarkable features of the church are its tall center crossing tower and its spired West Front towers ( no longer perfectly symmetrical, due to economic WWII damage repair of the South one).
The city is bustling and noisy and has little more to see, although we encountered the Hotel de Ville and another church, St. Pierre as we descended the main-street-hill to the parking. We did not even eat here. We stopped en route to Mont St.-Michel, our next overnight stop.
There are many other innovations in the internal and external features of the church. These are covered in the various Tips we have created. Particularly impressive features are the apse (chevet) area and its general simplicity within the Gothic style.
- Pros:The Best Norman Gothic Cathedral
- Cons:The Only (and Important ) Reason for Stopping Here
- In a nutshell:Everybody should visit this Cathedral!
The 14C axial chapel of the chevet is the Lady Chapel. Fittingly, it has sained glass windows and contains a revered... more travel advice
The Church of St.-Pierre is down the rue G. de Montbray about 2 blocks South toward where we parked, so it is really not... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Coutances Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Coutances - Medieval Hill Town"
- "Calvados, Conquerors, and Cheese"
- "Home of a Most Splendid Cathedral"
- "COUTANES - Town of Art and History"
- "Cathedral and town of Coutances"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Coutances
- Hotels in Coutances
- Transportation in Coutances
- Restaurants in Coutances
- Shopping in Coutances
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coutances
- 7 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Coutances?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coutances
Photos in CoutancesSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos