"The Splendors of a Medieval and Renaissance Power" Top 5 Page for this destination Dijon by hquittner
Dijon Travel Guide: 193 reviews and 462 photos
We only allocated a full day to Dijon on our exploration of Burgundy and it rained most of that day. This drove us into spending most of our time indoors at the Palace of the Dukes and Estates-General of Burgundy and to the Beaux Arts Museum. Luckily it did not rain on the preceding afternoon as we arrived and stopped at the Chartreuse de Champmol in the northwest outskirts of the city, where we feasted our eyes on the masterpieces of sculpture by Claus Sluter, arguably the greatest works before Donatello. (The greater of the two elaborate monuments there, the so-called "Well of Moses" is covered by protective glass and iron barriers which make for both visual and photographic difficulties, but the experience is still worth the trouble).
As we began to review our experiences of long ago, we have become puzzled about why the treasures of Dijon are so superficially described in VT. It is a large city and Burgundy was both powerful and the seat of much artistic activity. It is certainly more than old houses, mustard and nearby vineyards. We will try to show what we found. And we spent little enough time there too.
- Pros:There Is Much To See and Do
- Cons:We Needed A Car to See What We Saw
- In a nutshell:One Day Is Not Enough
We stayed for 2 nights at the Relais de la Sans-Fond in the town of Fenay, 5 km south of Dijon by the D996. It had a... more travel advice
The Chartreuse (Charterhouse) of Champmol, or more precisely what is left of it, stands about 1 km west of the Pl. Darcy... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Dijon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Splendors of a Medieval and Renaissance Power"
- "THE SPLENDOURS OF THE DUKES OF BURGUNDY."
- "DIJON - the capital of the Dukes of Burgundy"
- "Capital of Burgundy"
- "Dijon - more than mustard"
- "DIJON AND BURGUNDY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dijon
- Hotels in Dijon
- Transportation in Dijon
- Nightlife in Dijon
- Restaurants in Dijon
- Shopping in Dijon
- Warnings and Dangers in Dijon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dijon
- 23 Reviews
- 109 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Dijon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dijon
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos