"An Old Walled Town in A Pleasant Setting" Top 5 Page for this destination Dinan by hquittner
Dinan Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 233 photos
Dinan (pop. 16K) has an old town surrounded by ramparts and exudes pleasure and relaxation. It is an excellent base of operations to visit nearby St. Malo and Dinard , the Rance estuary and many fine beaches. Moreover, Mont St.-Michel is only 35 miles to the northeast making it a possible day-trip.
We came from further west headed to accomodations near the Mont, so we came primarily for the town itself. Our hotel was a delight (See Tip) as was the town. We parked in the Pl. right in front of the Hotel which is recommended in many guide books. In the square next South was a statue of a man on horseback brandishing a sword riding at a gallop toward us. This was Bertrand Du Guesclin, the town warrior-hero, set in his square (now a parking area).We stayed two nights, spending the day wandering the town without visiting the castle or exploring the walks on the town walls.
We also visited Dol de Bretagne and Mont Dol itself as well as the coast nearby, but it was the town that pleased us most. Only a few houses are old enough to be half-timbered. Most are newer (16C) and of g\local granite. They will last forever!
- Pros:The terrain and views overcome the tourism
- Cons:The tourism
- In a nutshell:We relaxed here beyond our expectations
Behind the apse of the Church of St.-Sauveur is a garden called the English Garden (which may have once been the church... more travel advice
If you wander the town you will visit the r. de L'Horloge to the tourist office and the Clock Tower. Between the two on... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Dinan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dinan - Beautiful Medieval town"
- "Jewel of the Rance"
- "A beautiful medieval town"
- "An Old Walled Town in A Pleasant Setting"
- "A mediaevel Town on the River Rance"
- "A LOVELY MEDIEVAL CITY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dinan
- Hotels in Dinan
- Transportation in Dinan
- Restaurants in Dinan
- Shopping in Dinan
- Warnings and Dangers in Dinan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dinan
- 14 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Dinan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dinan
Photos in DinanSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos