"A Different Cathedral and Local History Too" Dol-de-Bretagne by hquittner
Dol-de-Bretagne Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 88 photos
We have visited Dol twice (in the same year). It is a small town (pop.5K) not on the coast. It would be off the beaten path except that it is a good place to stop enroute to Mont St. Michel (20 miles east). There are even modest places to sleep over and dine, but we made it part of a day trip onward because we wanted to see its fine cathedral which can be seen far off over the reclaimed marshlands, its flat towers looking like a big grain storage silo in the midwest of the USA. However as we shall describe, the 13C church has much of interest. If you were staying here, a walk in the town and local museum might occupy postprandial assistance.
There are two other sights near Dol that might be of interest. One is the giant menhir "Champ-Dolent" and the other is a climb (ride) up onto Mont Dol where St. Michel and Satan once wrestled. Aside from the mythical evidences and imaginative story there is a splendid view of the land reclaimation round about. (Will this be the first victim of global warming?) These are described as "Off the Beaten Path"
The town is right beyond the church.
- Pros:Interesting church and environs out of town
- Cons:You can not be in a hurry to enjoy this
- In a nutshell:This is what we visit France for
This town lies 8 km due North of Dol de Bretagne via the D155. It is on the coast of the Bay of St.-Michel and is a... more travel advice
The Dol Mound is 200 feet high and is about 4 km from Dol de Bretagne. The narrow road is safe and will allow a car to... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Dol-de-Bretagne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Different Cathedral and Local History Too"
- "Quaint Dol near Mont St Michel"
- "Interesting Breton Town"
- "Dol de Bretagne -------- Brittany France."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dol-de-Bretagne
- Hotels in Dol-de-Bretagne
- Transportation in Dol-de-Bretagne
- Restaurants in Dol-de-Bretagne
- Warnings and Dangers in Dol-de-Bretagne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dol-de-Bretagne
- 11 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Dol-de-Bretagne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dol-de-Bretagne
- Posted in Travel Sestri Levante Forum "Re: we plan to go to Sestri..."
- Wrote a Review Le-Vivier-sur-Mer: A Tour of the St.-Michel Bay in Dol-de-Bretagne Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Study the Cathedral Interior"
- updated a Dol-de-Bretagne Travel Page "A Different Cathedral and Local History Too"
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos