"A Bastide Town with A View" Domme by hquittner
Domme Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 89 photos
Domme is a small bastide town (pop. 1K) founded by Philippe le Hardi in 1281 on a cliff with a rounded top (un dome=domme). It is situated 212 m above the Dordogne valley floor. The town took a trapezoidal shape to fit the falaise and was fortified. We only visited two of its gates and saw only a two arcaded house fronts typical of bastides. The views of the Dordogne valley were worth the trip.
We based ourselves at Sarlat to continue our exploration of the Dordogne in the Perigord Noire after having seen its Quercy region. (See our Tips in the Midi-Pyrenees and the many towns we visited in its North) On the day we visited Domme we travelled first to Carsac and then along the north bank of the river, crossing at Domme and visiting Cenac below before ascending to see Domme and the river again.
At the base of the cliff is Cenac a village which luckily still has a fine Romanesque church from about 1130. (Described by us here as Off the Beaten Path)
- Pros:What a View!
- Cons:Very Little Else
- In a nutshell:Worth the Trip
The town of Cenac-et-St.-Julien (pop. 900) sits at the base of the cliff that holds Domme above. It is 11 km from... more travel advice
The Belveder de la Barre is at the cliff edge in Domme and gives a view of the Dordogne river and its valley. It is... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Domme Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Domme in the Perigord Noir on the Dordogne River"
- "A Village with a View: Domme"
- "A Bastide Town with A View"
- "A relaxing afternoon in Domme"
- "Beautiful fortified village in the Dordogne"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Domme
- 5 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Domme?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Domme
- updated a Domme Travel Page "A Bastide Town with A View"
- Posted in Travel Sestri Levante Forum "Re: we plan to go to Sestri..."
- Commented on one of royalempress's Domme travel pages
- Wrote a Review Cenac Below Domme Has a Fine Romanesque Church in Domme Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cenac Below Domme Has a Fine Romanesque Church"
Photos in DommeSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos