"Nearby but Off the Beaten Path" Flavigny-sur-Ozerain by hquittner
Flavigny-sur-Ozerain Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 53 photos
Flavigny (pop. 400+) is so situated as to have been labeled a fortified city in the Middle Ages (its fortifications built by its then powerful Abbaye de St.-Pierre). The Abbey persists, subsisting on the manufacture of its famous aniseseed flavored pastilles and other such candies, an industry started in the 9C.
The church of St. Genest intrigued Viollet-le-Duc (who never touched it) for its unusual interior arrangement whch has no antecedent models or followers. It was built in the 13C and modified in the 15 C. Inside the church are also some objects of high museum quality, all of this behind a severe exterior, an 18C modification.
It would seem that the only buildings in Flavigny that are recent are out of town in the countryside.
- Pros:Very Interesting Siteseeing
- Cons:Can You Get Here without a Car?Worth the Visit
In the sturdy old 18C Abbey building near the church is the shop which sells the candy. The tins of anise flavored... more travel advice
13-17C choir stall seats are designed as flip-up seats with retaining pins. Under the seat is a triagular wedge shaped... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Flavigny-sur-Ozerain Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nearby but Off the Beaten Path"
- "Flavigny, a Plus Beau Village and anise candies"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Flavigny-sur-Ozerain
- 7 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Flavigny-sur-Ozerain?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Flavigny-sur-Ozerain
- updated a Flavigny-sur-Ozerain Travel Page "Nearby but Off the Beaten Path"
- Posted in Travel Sestri Levante Forum "Re: we plan to go to Sestri..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Aniseseed Flavored Candy An Ancient Sweet"
- Wrote a Review Aniseseed Flavored Candy An Ancient Sweet in Flavigny-sur-Ozerain Shopping
Photos in Flavigny-sur-OzerainSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos