"A Palace, A Town, A Forest" Top 5 Page for this destination Fontainebleau by hquittner
Fontainebleau Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 329 photos
We have visited the palace twice, about 20 years apart, each time as participants in guided tours (one commercial, one Elderhostel). The Palace is in a town of 27K population and is served by SCNF trains out of the Gare de Lyon (where combined tickets are availble at an attractive price); bus connection for the 2 km to the palace is included. (We have never done this). We have driven through Fontainebleau on other trips and the town is quiet. We have stayed nearby in Moret-sur-Loing and in a little town in the Forest called Recloses. The forest surrounds Fontainebleau. Francis I used it for hunting but today it is a favorite hiking area for the French and its rock formations are reported to be good for climbing both for sport and learning and practicing technics used in more difficult places.
For 20 years we engaged in idependent travel. a great deal of it in France, flying into de Galule or Orly and renting (or lease-purchasing) a car. We would save Paris for other trips and head for a small location in the Ile de France or close by. We would terminate our trip in a similar place within 1 hour of our return airport for the flight home. There are a geat number of these places and although some can be negotiated as day-trips from Paris, this is a better way. For instance it is easier to visit Vaux-le-Vicomte from near Fontainebleau in your own car than any other way, and you can add on Nemours, Melun and be ready for Sens enroute futher afield. There are plenty of small inns (some with star restaurants) and in this new world of chepa long-distance calls and email, reservations are easy (not like 10-20 years ago).
- Pros:A fine example of a palace, few are better.
- Cons:It requires more preparation than we gave it.
- In a nutshell:We should have planned to concentrate on Fontainebleau on a trip
When Napoleon I also became enamored of Fontainebleau, he used the North entrance and prepared ground level rooms behind... more travel advice
The oval courtyard was the area of everyday entry from the time of the original manor of the Fontaine de Bliaud in 1137... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Fontainebleau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful FONTAINEBLEAU"
- "Moscow - Fontainebleau"
- "A Palace, A Town, A Forest"
- "A climber's paradise.....with a cultural twist"
- "World Heritage Fountainebleu"
- "The Palace of Fontainebleau"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fontainebleau
- Hotels in Fontainebleau
- Transportation in Fontainebleau
- Restaurants in Fontainebleau
- Shopping in Fontainebleau
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Fontainebleau
- 6 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Fontainebleau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fontainebleau
Photos in FontainebleauSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos