"The Town with a Model Parish Close" Guimiliau by hquittner
Guimiliau Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 93 photos
Guimiliau has the most important Parish Close. It has the Cavary with the most carved figures on it. The church has the most elaborate South Porch. There is a cemetery and an ossuary. The church has a tall belfry. The church interior contains many items of interest. Thus it is truly representative of a Breton Parish Close church.
We had already visited Pleyben and Lampaul-Guimiliau only 5 km away. When about to leave that last place we realized it was lunch time and there were no eateries. We decided to have a picnic in the car (it was still raining intermittently) and were lucky enough to find a kind of package toast, a Brie-like cheese, a container of fresh cherries and two bottles of Orangina. En route to Guimiliau we passed a roadside Calvary cross witha picnic table in front of it. Then St. Miliau blessed us. The rain ceased. We stopped and feasted. (See our Off the Beaten Path Tip).
The support arms (of the H) of the Calvary have upon their faces at the frieze level figures of the 4 Evangelists. With... more travel advice
There is another important Altar, that of the Rosary. This must be a particular manifestation of Breton religious... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Guimiliau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The most populated calvaire of Bretagne"
- "The Town with a Model Parish Close"
- "A truly monumental parish close!"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Guimiliau
- 8 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Guimiliau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guimiliau
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos