"Ruins Remaining of a Great 11C Construction" Jumièges by hquittner
Jumièges Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 70 photos
Th ruins of the Abbey of Jumieges lie downstream from Rouen on the Northest bank of the Seine. It can be visited in about one hour and makes a pleasant stop on the way to or from the Northwest coast of Normandy and Rouen. It is of particular importance if one is interested in Romanesque architecture because ruins make it strangely accessible. Considered as just ruins, it is quite picturesque and is deserving of its Michelin 3* rating.
The Abbey was founded by St. Philibert in 654 only 5 years after his best friend St. Wandrille had founded his Abbey not far off. The invading Norsemen destroyed buildings everywhere and did not at first recognize religious groups until they stabilized as Normans when it became possible to sustain monasteries again. Still there were other depredations and opulent rebuildings as well. St.-Pierre thus had both Carolingian and Gothic phases
- Pros:A Great Stop En Route in Haut-Normandie
- In a nutshell:One of the best church ruins we have visited
The ancient history of Jumieges has led to some archeological explorations. The successes have been early remnants of... more travel advice
St. Peter's Church was first built in the 10C! It may have been razed in 945. The last church was partly built in the... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Jumièges Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Benedictine Abbey of Jumièges"
- "Ruins Remaining of a Great 11C Construction"
- "Abbaye de Jumièges"
- "Abbaye de Jumièges"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Jumièges
- 5 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Jumièges?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jumièges
Photos in JumiègesSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos