"Burgundy on the Loire" La Charité by hquittner
La Charité Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 27 photos
Since we were nearby and the Michelin gave it 2 stars (worthy of a detour), we detoured to La Charite-sur-Loire (pop. 5.5K). The city sits above the Loire and is partly surrounded by 12C ramparts (it was a border town of Burgundy). The church was the largest and richest of the Cluniac domain built and modified between 1059 and 1130. The town became Protestant and during the Wars of Religion was one of their strongholds. There was a bloody massacre here after St. Bartholomew's Day In 1429, Joan of Arc tried unsuccessfully to take it by siege. Part of the nave burned down in a fire, (1559) never to be replaced. What repairs were done were after 1695 followed in the next century by the addition of Abbey dependencies. The foundations of the destroyed nave were utilized by the town for dwellings. Thus the still extant West facade stands before the present church with its tall Romanesque Tour Ste.-Croix-Notre-Dame. Ultimately the Revolution ended its use.
- Pros:There is the Church and Monsastery
- Cons:I Cannot rate it 2* like Michelin Does
- In a nutshell:A quiet town with a bloody history
When it was built in the early 12C , this Cluniac Romanesque church was the second largest in France (after Cluny... more travel advice
The most significant point about the abbreviated 4 bay nave is that it is one of the earliest uses of the pointed arch,... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
La Charité Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Burgundy on the Loire"
- "La Charité-sur-Loire"
- "La Charité-sur-Loire"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in La Charité
- 5 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to La Charité?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in La Charité
Photos in La CharitéSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos