"The Monument at La Turbie Still Stands" La Turbie by hquittner
La Turbie Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 16 photos
The remains of the Trophee des Alps still rise above the town of La Turbie to the height of 100 ft. The base of the monument is intact and is 120 feet square. On its west facade is an extensive Latin inscription. Above the base are .a group of four Doric columns and wall (which are remains of a circular set of 24 columns)
St. Honorat first attempted to destroy the Trophy in the 4C because it was pagan. More damage was done by Louis XIV as part of his war here with the Savoyards when all of the fortresses were demolished .
In 1806 Napoleon remade the road of the Grande Corniche. In the early 1930's much repair to the Trophy was made by Edward Tuck, a rich American. Asmall museum is now here.
The base of the Trophy has a Latin inscription that lists the 44 Gaulic tribes that were conquered by the Romans. There... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
La Turbie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "High above Monaco, the Trophee des Alpes"
- "La Turbie and it's "Trophee des Alpes""
- "The Monument at La Turbie Still Stands"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in La Turbie
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to La Turbie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in La Turbie
Photos in La TurbieSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos