"A City with an Old Cathedral & a 24-hr Motor Race" Top 5 Page for this destination Le Mans by hquittner
Le Mans Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 141 photos
Le Mans (150K pop.) is a city of many sights. We have been there 3 times but not when the racing circuits (car or cycle) were on. Each stop was a day trip on our way elsewhere and lasting 2-5 hours. It is a great cathedral "hop". The Cathedral is older than the Old Town, part Gothic added to Romanesque. There is a Sunday market, not at all for tourists, of which there are none.
Outside the cathedral on its South edge is a large dark red-stone menhir, the first we had ever seen. Going away from the church, the streets were filled with old houses with fine wood carving on some. Further on downhill, we saw other old houses built onto the remains of Roman defensive walls.
There is an Art Museum with some worthy French Masters as well as locals. On a Sunday we encountered a large vigorous market devoid of tourists. On one trip we arrived early with our 10 yr old grnadson on his first trip abroad. It was too early for him to stay awake. We drove the grand car circuit and he kept nodding off, he did not want to get up for the car museum next.(He has regretted this for the next 10 years but has preferred Italy adventures to returning). But he did like the chocolate crepes (cool man! but not ham galettes) from a cart at the market.
- Pros:A Fine Church and Fine Roman Walls
- Cons:We are not into racing
- In a nutshell:We have been there 3 times. Is that enough said?
One of the advantages of renting a car as a mode of independent travel, is that it allows you to explore sites not... more travel advice
The two tombs at the North Transept are fine examples of funerary sculpture. The classical looking one is of Charles... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Le Mans Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A City with an Old Cathedral & a 24-hr Motor Race"
- "Le Mans - Home of motor racing and Plantagenets."
- "Le Mans : city of the past and of the future"
- "Rob47's new Le Mans Page"
- "JJ_TVR's new Le Mans Page"
- "sls_2001's new VersaillesPage"
- "Watchman's new Le Mans page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Le Mans
- Hotels in Le Mans
- Nightlife in Le Mans
- Restaurants in Le Mans
- Warnings and Dangers in Le Mans
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Le Mans
- 15 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Le Mans?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Le Mans
Photos in Le MansSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos