Les Baux-de-Provence Things to Do Tips by hquittner Top 5 Page for this destination
Les Baux-de-Provence Things to Do: 26 reviews and 67 photos
Chapels of St. Blaise and Chapel of St. Claude
On another part of the hill there stands the walls of a Chapel of St. Blaise and next to it another of St. Claude, both n a flat place near the southern edge of the large rocky promontory.
Hotel de Ville (Part of Hotel de Manville)
Part of the Hotel de Manville still stands and is used as the Hotel de Ville and is also used for other activities. Several rooms have been made into a modern art museum. Immediately beyond the hotel, there are the remains of a Protestant oratory. It consists of the outer wall enclosing a fine Renaissance large window framing sculptural elements. Along the upper framing is a Protestant religious saying "Post Tenebras Lux)". The adjacent street leads down to the Grande Rue through a narrow street past ruined walls.
A View of the Alpilles
Les Baux sits on the west edge of the Alpilles, 3 km south of Glanum. Almost all of the Alpilles chain stretches east from here for 11 miles (an area southwest of the Luberon). The walls of the Alpilles are almost white and are not very tall. This area was used by van Gogh in several great paintings. From inside the town one can look out into a small valley which is part of the commune. Here is where there is the famous Ousteau de Baumiere.
Maison des Porcelets
The simple facade of the Maison des Porcelets is intact near the church, as is an adjacent small domed tower. Along the main street and nearby are many shops of varying quality.
The Penitents' Chapel
The chapel is close to the edge of the cliff on the east. It is a plain structure with a a small belfry and minimal carved decoration. Inside the chapel has bee covered with recent frescos of surrounding the Birth of Jesus by Yves Breyer.
An Ancient Knight's Tomb
The inside of St. Vincent's is dark and aside from a few adornments nothing remains. In the depth along one wall is a tomb of a knight from the 15C. In the back wall is an ancient small heraldic shield and nearby is a small statue of St. Francis with raised arms. A recent fine window by Max Ingrand completes the items to see.
St. Vincent's Church and Its Campanile
The facade of St. Vincent is a plain Romanesque building with unadorned arcading. It sits in a small square. The unside is dimly lit. Much of the vertical deeper wall is modifying of the surface of the cliff. Adjacent to the north of the church is a campanile whose belfry is completed above by a rising pointed top.
More Reviews (1)
hquittner's Related Pages
Les Baux-de-Provence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Les Baux de Provence"
- "The Ruined Castle and Remains of Les Baux"
- "A Village in the Rocks"
- "Les Baux-de-Provence"
- "1964 in South France"
- "A great feeling - Baux-de-Provence!"
- "On the Rock"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Les Baux-de-Provence
- Hotels in Les Baux-de-Provence
- Transportation in Les Baux-de-Provence
- Restaurants in Les Baux-de-Provence
- Shopping in Les Baux-de-Provence
- See All...
Explore the World
- Semarang Hotels
- Rawalpindi Hotels
- Arrochar Hotels
- Morgan Island Hotels
Badges & Stats in Les Baux-de-Provence
- 8 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Les Baux-de-Provence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Les Baux-de-Provence
Photos in Les Baux-de-ProvenceSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos
Latest Les Baux-de-Provence hotel reviews
- La Riboto de Taven
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2012