"Where the Prehistoric Sites Are" Les Eyzies-de-Tayac by hquittner
Les Eyzies-de-Tayac Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 121 photos
At Eyzies we first drove to Font-de-Gaume in the early morning only to find that the limited morning tours were filled and so we reserved tickets for the later afternoon tour. We had anticipated this and so drove out to the Cave of Rouffignac where there were only a handful of other sightseers waiting for the morning visit. This visit was by open electric train over miles of cave sites. We ate lunch at a minimal inn near Tursac, then visited its Romanesque church and returned to Eyzies to visit the Prehistory Museum before returning to Font-de-Gaume. Before returning to our base in Sarlat we drove by the cliff La Roque St.-Christophe which we viewed from across the river Vezere because we felt we were too old for the modest climb required. (All Tips Below).
Les-Eyzies-de-Tayac (pop. 800) on the Vezere, is the hub around which the prehistoric sites are scattered, the most distant being Montignac, also on the Vezere (about 20 km North) near which Lascaux 2 is sited. Eyzies is only 20 km from Sarlat as well and thus all are easily reached by car. Access to the river and the nearby Dordogne is popular via rental services for canoes and kayaks, with pickup and return points arranged, so that these can be “float-trips” requiring no boating skills. Do not miss the Prehistory Museum.
- Pros:See Great Prehistoric Wall Paintings
- Cons:Getting In (Reservations) May Be Tricky
- In a nutshell:Worth the Planning
On our way from Rouffignac to La Roque Christophe we went through Tursac (onD706) and stopped briefly to look at the 12C... more travel advice
The Musee National de Prehistorie is in the old castle of Tayac which the Barons of Beynac built (11,12, &16 C) under an... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Les Eyzies-de-Tayac Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Les Eyzies-de-Tayac"
- "Where the Prehistoric Sites Are"
- "A region of prehistoric sites, castles and caves"
- "Cliffs/caves of Cro-Magnon man"
- "On the Prehistory Trail"
- "Prehistoric Les Eyzies de Tayac"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Les Eyzies-de-Tayac
- 7 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Les Eyzies-de-Tayac?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Les Eyzies-de-Tayac
Photos in Les Eyzies-de-TayacSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos
Latest Les Eyzies-de-Tayac hotel reviews
- Hotel Restaurant Le Cro-Magnon
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013