"As Far North in the Midi-Pyrenees As You Can Get" Martel by hquittner
Martel Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 29 photos
Martel (pop. 1.5K) was expanded into a free town (1219) by the Viscount of Turenne whose lands had been devastated by the English. This was a century after it had bee founded around the Church of St.-Maur (a Benedictine saint). It was a pilgrimage stop on the roads to Rocamadour and Compostela. The subsequent 100years was led to its fortification, including modifications of its new buildings and its church to withstand anticipated warfare. Today the town still boasts of its 7 towers, the most prominent being the belfry of the Hotel de la Raymondie, the church tower and the Hotel de Chauffeur.
The major streets a the edge of town are built upon what was once the defensive ramparts
We spent only long enough at Martel to satisfy our church-hopping compulsions. For those with children, there is an open-car steam-powered train trip (7km each way) to the nearby town of St.-Denis. on a 19C track that goes through small tunnels and looks down on valleys (we did not ride it). A rare experience in these days.
- Pros:Worth A Short Visit
- Cons:We missed the Museum in the Hotel de la Raymondie
- In a nutshell:A Nice Town
The Hotel de la Raymondie is sited in the Place des Consuls next to the covered market (Halles). It is a large building... more travel advice
On the flat apse wall behind the altar is a large Gothic style stained glass window. It was created in the early 1500's... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Martel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "As Far North in the Midi-Pyrenees As You Can Get"
- "Martel is our home"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Martel
- 7 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Martel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Martel
- Posted in Travel France Forum "Re: Driving South of France"
- Commented on one of podinfrance's Martel travel pages
- Wrote a Review See the Hotel de la Raymondie in Martel Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "See the Hotel de la Raymondie"
- created a Martel Travel Page "As Far North in the Midi-Pyrenees As You Can Get"
Photos in MartelSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos