"You Get to Vaux-le-Vicomte Chateau via Melun" Melun by hquittner
Melun Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 84 photos
We have stopped in Melun (pop.36K) once. We crossed to a central island in the Seine to see the 11C church of Notre Dame. We were returning from a long visit to the Chateau of Vaux-le-Comte. It had some interesting Gothic features modifying its original Romanesque creation. (Unfortunately our pictures have been destroyed). It is a typical old French town just beyond a rapidly growing area to its north Melun-Senart (over 350K). Do not confuse them! Our trip was taking us to Burgundy but our first stop was at a small inn deep in the Forest of Fontainebleau at a little village called Recloses. From this vantage point we could visit the Chateau of Fontainebleau and see the forest as well as Vaux.
The chateau sits in a little populated flat farm country (La Plaine de France). The apocryphal story of its builder and owner Nicolas Fouquet (1615-80) is nicely told in a Tip under Melun. But the true villain in the story is Colbert soon to achieve his objective of becoming prime minister, who was advising the young King. Fouquet stood in his way and the King was primed to deliver the arrest papers before the party but was advised by friends not to do it. (Everybody was in the 3000 attendees at the August 17 party). The end was postponed a couple of weeks.
See our Transportation trip for details. We prefer to take some trips to France to see the real France. Places in the Ile are overlooked as great sites at which to stay and visit.
The name Ecureuil (squirrel) derives from Fouquet's emblematic (icon) animal. There is on the grounds near the entry a... more travel advice
LeBrun showed his talents to be the equal of his compatriots in his interior creations, especially seen in the rooms... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Melun Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vaux le Vicomte"
- "You Get to Vaux-le-Vicomte Chateau via Melun"
- "A Most Exquisite Château"
- "Melun by the River Seine"
- "Melun, FR"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melun
- Hotels in Melun
- Transportation in Melun
- Restaurants in Melun
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Melun
- 9 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Melun?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melun
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Where is VT email?"
- Commented on one of von.otter's Melun travel pages
- updated a Melun Travel Page "You Get to Vaux-le-Vicomte Chateau via Melun"
- Uploaded a Photo to "You Get to Vaux-le-Vicomte Chateau via Melun"
- Wrote a Review A Place to Eat in Vaux-le-Vicomte in Melun Restaurants
Photos in MelunSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos