"The Rebirth of European Sculpture Occurred Here" Moissac by hquittner
Moissac Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 86 photos
When we planned our trip to the Dordogne, we decided to make our point of arrival as Bordeaux. Our studies indicated to us that we could easily stop at such an important place as Moissac. At the time, there was no nice place to overnight (no longer true), so we went on to Cahors. Our readings in Art told us that the rebirth of sculpture after the Dark Ages occurred here after 1000AD. Since we had become enamored of the Romanesque in Southern Burgendy and in and around Arles (and in Northern Spain), we could not wait. We were ready for Moissac.
Even though it is the home of a great artistic period, Moissac is a pretty small modern city with little interest in the few tourists who come there. In France "the Moissac" is a table grape which is large, round-seeded, perfumed and sweet. Its production and sale is enormous accounting for the neatness of the town. Unfortunately we were there at the end of Spring and did not have the pleasure of eating them.
- Pros:A Detour That You Should Take
- Cons:This is All There Is. (You Don't Need More).
- In a nutshell:Great Works
The portal of the Porch displays a simple carved band arch set between two thin round ribs and secured by rows of... more travel advice
The Narthex is built with heavy ogival vaulting. Like the cloister, its support columns have decorated 11-12C capitals.... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Moissac Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Rebirth of European Sculpture Occurred Here"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moissac
- 14 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Moissac?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moissac
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos