"On the Way to Fontenay Abbey" Montbard by hquittner
Montbard Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 75 photos
We have been through Montbard a few times as we went about our sightseeing in the area, but only stopped one time briefly at the Buffon Park. The small industrial city (pop. 8K) is sited at the Brenne River and the Burgandy Canal. We did not visit its several attractions centered around the famous early biologist, born here in 1707 and who spent much of his life here, Georges-Louis Leclerc de Buffon. He installed a forge in Montbard which has led to an existing specialized metallurgical industry here. More than that, he was the author of the first modern compendium "Natural History" (in 42 volumes, the last 6 by disciples after his death in 1788). He and a disciple were responsible for converting the King's Garden in Paris into the present day Jardin des Plantes (see Our Tips and others under Paris>Things to Do> Parks and Gardens- with many other sites).
The local Art Museum has a number of noteworthy works and there are the various Buffon sites as well as soe old buildings. It js a place to consider as a base for visiting the vicinity. The Abbey of Fontenay is only 6 km away (easily reached by cycle from a barge).
- Pros:Well sited.
- Cons:Limited Access: Canal or Car.
- In a nutshell:Located near many attractive sites.
Lastly there are the Tombs of Mello d'Epoisses and his wife which are also in the choir. There are marked signs of the... more travel advice
The interior has eight bays covered by broken arches rather than rounded Romanesque ones. The arches are supported on... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Montbard Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On the Way to Fontenay Abbey"
- "Montbard - On the way to the Abbaye de Fontenay"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Montbard
- 12 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Montbard?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montbard
Photos in MontbardSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos