"The Largest City in the Pays de la Loire" Nantes by hquittner
Nantes Travel Guide: 222 reviews and 669 photos
We chose to stop at Nantes for the day enroute from a stop at La Jaille-Yvon (near Angers) at our favorite B&B chateau before a two week ramble through Brittany (first stop Locmariaquer and Gavrinis). We chose to stop at Nantes because we had become captivated by French castles (chateaux) and cathedrals and Nantes had one of each. We had seen almost all the important ones further up the Loire in Centre as a prelude in other years.
We parked outside a lovely park-garden area across the Cours F. Roosevelt from the Chateau, which gave us access immediately to the chateau and the r. M.-Rodier which led up to the cathedral. Time did not permit us to explore further.
There is not much else that is very old. WWII finished most of that since Nantes is a seaport. There are several interesting museums that we would havee enjoyed. However, thr Chateau had some others within its walls such as one of Breton costumes
- Pros:This City is worth a couple of nights, if you have time.
- Cons:It is a working city, not a tourist venue.
- In a nutshell:Delightful gardens, good food and plenty to see.
Up the street along the North side of the Cathedral (r. de l'Eveche) one sees the Porte. St.-Pierre, a 15C gateway built... more travel advice
Not only are the royal heads protected and pillowed by angels, but their feet are guarded by a lion for him (Power) and... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Nantes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A surprising city"
- "Venice of the West (without tourists)"
- "A city for the Dukes of Brittany or Bretagne"
- "Get away from the tourists & visit Nantes!"
- "sandravdp's new Nantes Page"
- "The Largest City in the Pays de la Loire"
- "Interesting City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nantes
- Hotels in Nantes
- Transportation in Nantes
- Nightlife in Nantes
- Restaurants in Nantes
- Shopping in Nantes
- Warnings and Dangers in Nantes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nantes
- 11 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Nantes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nantes
Photos in NantesSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos