"A Parisian Sunday Escape to the Country" Pierrefonds by hquittner
Pierrefonds Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 171 photos
10 years ago on a beautiful sunny late May Sunday afternoon we stopped at the town of Pierrefonds to se its "famous" castle. The roadside was packed for about a mile with cars parked everywhere and throngs of young and middle-aged people milling around. We luckily found a free space and surveyed the situation. There on the hillside was the immense fortress. On the other side of the road extended a pretty lake full of pedal-boats and rowboats. At the roadside were vendors with tables full of antiques, "art-junk" and crafts. From the attire we assumed the public were Parisian "suburbanites" out for a Sunday: tank-tops, shorts, babies in back-pack carriers, etc. It was like any county fair or Sunday flea-market in the suburbs of the USA.
In our intense sightseeing of the picturesque France, we forget that people in France do dress just like us. In doing these pages, we suddenly we remembered our shock at seeing them crowding the streets in Aigues-Morts and les Saintes-Maries in the summer. Thankfully only about 10% were involved in visiting the castle like we were.
The chateau is not like most of the old fortresses we had seen before. We had seen and appreciated Viollet-le-Duc's work at Carcassonne, Notre Dame de Paris and other places and we were aware of his architectural brilliance and uniqueness of insight and theories, but we did not know that this was his "flight of imagination" experiment in real construction. We will write about it in a Tip. For him this is what restoration is all about (even though most critics disagree). It is great that he was able to do it.
- Pros:An Imaginative Gothic Creation
- Cons:On the edge of being overcrowded
- In a nutshell:A Functional Restoration
Le-Duc was a brilliannt logical and scholarly man who learned his architecture from working with leading experts in... more travel advice
Although le-Duc was not a sculptor, he was fabulous at drawing and sketching. He drew figures to animate his creation,... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Pierrefonds Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE FAIRY TALE CASTLE OF PIERREFONDS"
- "A Parisian Sunday Escape to the Country"
- "Pierrefonds - another way to see the past"
- "FRANCE AT ITS FINEST"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pierrefonds
- 10 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Pierrefonds?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pierrefonds
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Where is VT email?"
- Commented on one of freya_heaven's Pierrefonds travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "So Much to See Defies Description"
- created a Pierrefonds Travelogue "So Much to See Defies Description"
- Wrote a Review Eugene-Emmanuel Viollet-le-Duc (1814-79) in Pierrefonds Favorites
Photos in PierrefondsSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos