"A Parish Close" Pleyben by hquittner
Pleyben Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 59 photos
As part of our exploration of Brittany, we planned to visit 4 Closes as a d ay trip from our base near Locronan. Since it was threanening to rain, we chose to stop at the nearest one first, which turned out to be Pleyben, hoping that we would be able to do the others. We parked outside a low stone and wrought-iron fence which enclosed (French enclos=closed) the church properties.
The Calvary stood near the South door of the church. (The South door is favored as the entry door in Breton Churches). We had learned that the close was a complex including church, calvary, cemetery and ossuary ( a repository for exhumed skeletons , done to make room for newer burials in a limited sacred place), plus other decorative features.
- Pros:A Fine Less Famous Close
- Cons:This is all you come to Pleyben for.
- In a nutshell:It makes the Top 5 in Closes
The interior of the church is apponted by the extensive use of heavy woodwork, a common structural findning in Breton... more travel advice
The church has two spires, the shorter one Gothic, the taller one over the South (entry) Porch, Renaissance. On the... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Pleyben Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A mix of calvary history and chocolates at Pleyben"
- "A Parish Close"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pleyben
- Transportation in Pleyben
- Restaurants in Pleyben
- Shopping in Pleyben
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pleyben
- 4 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Pleyben?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pleyben
Photos in PleybenSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos