"Home of Important Ancient Buildings" Top 5 Page for this destination Poitiers by hquittner
Poitiers Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 212 photos
When the Romans conquered Gaul they found a well established community at Poitiers on a promontory overlooking the valleys of the Clain and Boivre rivers. It was Christianized in the 3C , had a bishop in the 4C and built what is the oldest Baptistry surviving in France. As the capital of Poitou, with Eleanor and her second husband Henry II (Plantagenet) of England in residence there part of their lives, followed by Jean, Duke of Berry and Count of Poitiers, a large edifice remains. This is accompanied by the true marks of wealth and power: many noteworthy churches.
We are addicted church hoppers and we capped our return toward Paris after a stay in the Dordogne with a stop for two nights in Poitiers. We visited the older buildings and then proceeded to nearby Chauvigny and St.-Savin for more (See our Tips on each of these sites).
The original tourist route through France was the Road to Compostela and Poitiers was a stop on the way. Now the destination is Provence and the Riviera by car or TGV and Poitiers is neglected. It is a growing commercial city and tourism is not important (except for the Futuroscope (5 miles north), open daily from roughly 9-18 hours. Nevertheless some attention is given to the historic buildings.
- Pros:Fine Early Church Architecture
- Cons:You Must Like Old Buildings
- In a nutshell:Good Eating and All City Sites Reached by Foot
There are other objects of interest in the East end of the church. The transept serves as an antealtar with a rare and... more travel advice
The choir , altar and transept are elevated by a crypt containing the relics of St.-Hilaire. The choir is separated from... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Poitiers Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of Important Ancient Buildings"
- "The oldest university in the land"
- "i miss this town!"
- "MY CITY"
- "City of Science and History"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Poitiers
- Hotels in Poitiers
- Transportation in Poitiers
- Nightlife in Poitiers
- Restaurants in Poitiers
- Shopping in Poitiers
- Warnings and Dangers in Poitiers
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Poitiers
- 25 Reviews
- 120 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (135)
Have you been to Poitiers?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Poitiers
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Where is VT email?"
- Wrote a Review St.-Hilaire: Look At Its Romanesque Art Treasures in Poitiers Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "St.-Hilaire: Look At Its Romanesque Art Treasures"
- Commented on one of GUYON's Poitiers travel pages
- updated a Poitiers Travel Page "Home of Important Ancient Buildings"
Photos in PoitiersSee All Photos (120)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos