"Thoughts While Passing Through" Pont-Aven by hquittner
Pont-Aven Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 147 photos
We left Carnac for Concarneau enroute to our next base near Locronon. We arrived at Pont-Aven at noon and had a unch of galettes with ham, downed by cidre as we looked out from the restaurant balcony at the little port.
We remembered that Emile Bernard, Gaugin, Serusier and Denis settled in here and evolved their communal views (their "school") about antique almost oriental "cloisonist" style , based upon medieval stained glass windows, that we love so much. Sitting in this quiet remote backwater we grasped their feelings about simple and devotional attitudes, but we are not artists. Although Gaugin had been here in years before they came together in 1887-8, we understood his egocentric, restless isolationism which drove him to remove himself down the road some 30 km to Le Pouldu, claiming all the ideas were his, moving briefly to Arles with van Gogh and to ultimate withdrawal in Tahiti, where nobody could steal his ideas or influence him.
Gaugin's works today would sell in the millions and his effects quite high as well. The others fetch upwards of 500K each. It would be extremely difficult to acqure, display and protect such valuables here. So how to "capitalize " on the good fortune that fate handed yo Pont-Aven? Make the statement that "Gaugin slept here" and put up a sign with a copy of his self-portaits(not done here)? Most tourists won't recognize the names of the others. There are no Cezanne's in Aix (a much bigger place (just his studio and some expensively obtained personal junk. In Vernon and Giverny you can look at the water-lily garden, squint to imitate poor vision and make believe you are Monet. Better yet you can prepare an explanatory booklet and put up billboard copies of the appropraite paintings like they do in Arles and "experience" van Gogh. So rather than search for these spots in the Tremalo Chapel or the Bois d'Amour, we took pictures of the River Aven and the town and departed.
- Pros:A Good Lunch Stop
- Cons:We were easily sated
- In a nutshell:So Why Did Gaugin Leave?
hquittner's Related Pages
Pont-Aven Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stratford on Aven"
- "Thoughts While Passing Through"
- "The city of artists and a lot more..."
- "artist town"
- "Enchanting Village of Artists"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pont-Aven
- Hotels in Pont-Aven
- Transportation in Pont-Aven
- Restaurants in Pont-Aven
- Shopping in Pont-Aven
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pont-Aven
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Pont-Aven?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pont-Aven
Photos in Pont-AvenSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos