"Another Walled Town" Provins by hquittner
Provins Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 207 photos
Where the RER does not go in the suburbs of Paris, there survive small towns that are the real France. Almost all of them retain old buildings, churches, some chateaux, countryside and relaxation. A few have mega-attractions too and have grown larger. Most are in the Ile (or Picardie or Centre) and are less than 1 1/2 hours away by surburban trains. When we retired we planned to visit a great deal of France (in lieu of retiring there) on several trips by car and decided to by-pass Paris completely. Our first and last (and proximate) nights were spent in these small towns. There was no rush to get back to Paris; we enjoyed the ambience (often in 3* accomodations) with good cuisine everywhere. Obviously Provins is such a place
There are usually very interesting "minor" sites near these towns that can only be visited by car and you are there with a car in hand! Such an "Off the Beaten Path" was St. Loup-de-Naud only 8 km from Provins, a rare 11C church and portal statues that most Parisians never get to see. (See Tips). And staying at the Hostellerie "Aux Vieux Remparts" made the whole adventure a greater value.
- Pros:A Fine Ile-de France Town Sojourn
- Cons:1000 to 1700 is for day-trippers
- In a nutshell:Best at Dusk
The walls are very thick and the towers are ether round or square with lookout area on the tops. The bases are broad and... more travel advice
When we visited Provins 10 years ago, the Tourist Office had not yet learned how to trap tourists but was moving in the... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Provins Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Provins: The Past Lives"
- "Take a break from Paris"
- "Explore the Middle Ages.."
- "A romantic medieval village near Paris"
- "One -day trip"
- "The time machine"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provins
- Hotels in Provins
- Transportation in Provins
- Restaurants in Provins
- Shopping in Provins
- Warnings and Dangers in Provins
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provins
- 14 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Provins?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provins
Photos in ProvinsSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos
Latest Provins hotel reviews
- Hostellerie Aux Vieux Remparts
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2012