"A Trip to Saint-Denis-Not for Beginning Sightseers" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Denis by hquittner
Saint-Denis Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 271 photos
St.-Denis (pop. over 100K) is one of the seediest of the “banlieu” of Paris and is so close to town that there is a Metro stop (line 13) and an RER as well. There is an abbey adjacent to the church and two museums of interest but the real attraction is the Basilica of St.-Denis (Michelin guides have labeled it a 2 or 3* destination). If you are an architecture buff, it is 5*. The nave was redone a century after Suger by Pierre de Montreuil (it is believed) and is the first church done in the Rayonnant Gothic style. The lower ambulatory, Abbot Suger’s expression of the prototype for Gothic window treatment , cited in every textbook, is intact but remaining stained glass in them is hard to find (Some pieces are in the Cluny Museum). But the main reason for visiting are the royal tombs and effigies. (Several tombs are masterpieces of Renaissance sculpture).
It is important to emphasize that the church is a restoration and that the survival of the remains that are its basis is sheer luck. The tombs were saved by Alexandre Lenoir who sequestered them, as well as other great sculptures from all over Paris, in the Beaux Arts School during the Revolution. The ego of Napoleon and a recognition of France’s artistic heritage lead to poor attempts to restore the mausoleum. It took the genius of Viollet-le-Duc to make the government understand its true value and empower him to “scientifically” restore (1847-79) the basilica. So what is here is a small example of one of his textbooks on architecture (there are many others such as Carcasonne and Pierrefonds). He got his first commission to restore old Gothic churches when his predecessor botched the rebuilding of the South Tower. By studying the old documents he recognized the forgotten architectural genius of the Gothic period and rehabilitated Gothic architecture and its buildings.
Fine old doors are often missing from old churches; see this one.
- Pros:For Adventurous Seekers for Art & Architecture
- Cons:Only if You Have the Background
- In a nutshell:Good for church-hoppers
At the entrance to the chancel on the right is a 12C polychromed seated wood statue of the Madonna and Child. It is an... more travel advice
Look at the large mausolea. By far the most elaborate mausoleum is that of Louis XII and Anne of Bretagne, a cooperative... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Saint-Denis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saint-Denis - The Royal Necropolis"
- "THE BASILICA OF SAINT DENIS"
- "Royal Saint Denis"
- "A Trip to Saint-Denis-Not for Beginning Sightseers"
- "Basilique Royal Necropolis"
- "a marvellous church"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint-Denis
- Transportation in Saint-Denis
- Restaurants in Saint-Denis
- Shopping in Saint-Denis
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint-Denis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint-Denis
- 13 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Saint-Denis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint-Denis
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Where is VT email?"
- updated a Saint-Denis Travel Page "A Trip to Saint-Denis-Not for Beginning Sightseers"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Trip to Saint-Denis-Not for Beginning Sightseers"
- Wrote a Review Locate the Fine Ancient Madonna and Child in Saint-Denis Things to Do
Photos in Saint-DenisSee All Photos (58)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos