"Earliest Religious Paintings of the Western Church" Saint-Savin by hquittner
Saint-Savin Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 24 photos
We hurried onward from Chauvigny (after leaving Poitiers) along N151 a few miles to St.-Savin (pop. 925) which was to be our main stop of the day. We came to see the earliest well-preserved Romanesque wall paintings in this abbey church (finished in 1100). This was to be the final touch in our Art Adventure and we were not disappointed. The best of the paintings cover the barrel vaulted nave.A fine 14C tower has also survived.
We found the remains of an abbey reconstructed in the 17C after the depredations of the 200 years of regal and religious struggles in this area. Luckily the location of the art saved it from destruction, but the abbey felt the effects of the Revolution and if it were not for the salvaging zeal of Vitet and Merimee, there would be little to see.
- Pros:A Painted Old Testament Version of the Best Sicilian Mosaics
- Cons:Be Sure to Bring Binoculars and a Good Camera
- In a nutshell:Nothing Like It
Five miles after we left St.-Savin headed east on the N151, we reached the edge of Poitou and entered Centre. At this... more travel advice
The Old Testament scenes start on the left (north) half of the nave vault near the Narthex and are in two ranks. The... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Saint-Savin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Earliest Religious Paintings of the Western Church"
- "Saint-Savin on Gartempe"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint-Savin
- 4 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Saint-Savin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint-Savin
Photos in Saint-SavinSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos