"Another Town with a Romanesque Church" Saulieu by hquittner
Saulieu Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 22 photos
Our route north going back through Burgundy took us to Saulieu on our way ultimately to Vezelay. Saulieu is a quiet town (pop. 3.2K) with a 12C Basilica of St.-Andoche. We arrived quite early and were finished seeing the church within an hour. The dilemma (which we solved the night before) was whether to go on or delay and have lunch at one of France's great restaurants Chef Loiseau's "Cote d'Or (Michelin 2 rosettes and 4 forks). Well time is money, so taste buds goodbye! We had a picnic of cheese, bread and wine in the Morvan nearby on our way forward. (Oh to do it again!). Next to the church we saw a pretty fountain before entering.
St.-Andoche has withstood varied destructions and while the restorations are not as accomplished as the original , it is still rewarding. In fact if you have time there is also a museum which features the art of the animal sculptor Pompon (1855-1933) who was born here and did not become famous until he was quite old and so they were able to get many works and models of his. There are many pieces of carved stone outside around the church that have not yet found their artistic or historical display. These attractions could be a good after-meal amusement.
- Pros:The Church Capitals are Capital
- Cons:We Did Not Stay Long Enough to Eat
- In a nutshell:Can We Do This Over?
The church contains several 15C polychromed statuary of Renaissance style in various locations. In particular see two... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Saulieu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Good base for visiting Burgundy"
- "Another Town with a Romanesque Church"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saulieu
- 3 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Saulieu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saulieu
Photos in SaulieuSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos