""The Fontainebleau of Burgundy"-Mme. de Sevigne" Sully by hquittner
Sully Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 31 photos
After parking outside the gate, the imposing chateau is approached via a wide dirt path centered between extensive ancient outbuildings and rows of giant box-hedges. The buildings on the left are extensive stables, accounting for the dirt path and high wall entry at the chateau. Surrounding the chateau is a wide moat (fed by the nearby river Dree). The moat is retained on the land side by a wall decoratively topped by stone cannon balls and small pyramids. On the north side of the chateau the moat expands into a small lake. Today there are guided tours (in French), but this was not in evidence when we were there and so we just walked around the grounds
The Chateau of Sully is located just north of the town which bears the same name. It is located 3 mi north of the D973 that runs between Beaune and Autun . We were headed to the latter for a day trip and stopped to see what the chateau was like.
The Sully clan, whose name the chateau bears, died out in the 13C. A series of distinguished nobles subsequently owned and built or improved its structure and landscaping in the 16-18C, preserving many medieval features. Ultimately it became the property of the Mac-Mahons and today it belongs to the Duchess of Magenta, a linear descendant. The Marshal Edme-Patrice de Mac-Mahon, born at the chateau, became the first president of the Third Republic (1873-79). (A fine description of the Chateau can be found in the Wikipedia, only in French).
- Pros:Impressive Chateau
- Cons:Grounds Do Not Resemble Versailles
- In a nutshell:Try a Real Visit if You Have Time
Having seen the statue of the Marshal, it time to follow the encircling moat and note the decoration of its retaining... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Sully Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Why you're here"
- ""The Fontainebleau of Burgundy"-Mme. de Sevigne"
- "Sully, Visit the Chateau"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sully
- 3 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (135)
Have you been to Sully?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sully
Photos in SullySee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos