Tarascon Local Custom Tips by hquittner
Tarascon Local Customs: 2 reviews and 2 photos
An Ancient Tarasque
With a 4C sarcophagus in Tarascon as its origin and the powerful submission to the Saint by a dragon, the Good King Rene had a fine excuse to create a festival around the Sainte's Day at the end of July. Unfortunately that was not when we visited there, but we saw the presently used dragon at the city hall and a picture of an ancient dragon as well. We had seen other earlier dragons used in parades of yore kept in the Arlaten Museum in Arles, that are worth visiting as well.
The Famous Demon (present version)
The Festival of the Tarasque is stiil celebrated on July 29 or a nearby day. The center of the action consists of leading the famous demon in a parade through the town.
More Reviews (5)
hquittner's Related Pages
Tarascon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of Ste. Martha and the Tarasque"
- "Tarascon en Provence"
- See All...
Explore the World
- Saint Michaels Mount Hotels
- Glenville Hotels
- Council Bluffs Hotels
- Castillon Hotels
Badges & Stats in Tarascon
- 7 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Tarascon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarascon
Photos in TarasconSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos