"A Premium Visit" Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse by hquittner
Toulouse Travel Guide: 577 reviews and 1,188 photos
Looking back over more than 30 years of European travel and over 30 trips to France (including many other sites as well) our single four-night stay in Toulouse achieved our peak of satisfaction,. Unfortunately we did not see it all. It took place 15 years ago, in 1995 at the end of September and the weather was balmy and rain free. Our hotel was on the Place Wilson and we found the city easily walkable from there. There was a series of brasseries and restaurants around the Place and we ate all our late meals there. The traffic, climate and ambiance reminded us of our hometown (New Orleans). We did not see everything in two days.
By the time of our Toulouse visit, we were well grounded in Romanesque Art and Architecture and had become captivated by it. Our first site on our first day had to be St. Sernin. It has been redesignated a holy basilica and with Cluny no longer in existence it is the largest Romanesque church is France. But all of that obscures the fact that its stone carvings represent the earliest work in that medium in modern Western culture and there is 100 years of artistic evolution on its capitals and other works.
Our hotel opened onto the Place Wilson, a grand oval with fountains and a statue of the Occitan poet Goudouli at the center. Around the oval streams traffic. Also around the traffic are several restaurants, bistros and brasseries. Most have terraces looking out on the activity. As we walked from our hotel after our jet-lag nap, immediately next door in “Le Bistro Romain” we saw a glass-walled refrigerator full of plates containing thin strips of red raw beef. We were seated and inquired; we were informed “Carpaccio” and a description then followed. As carnivores, we drooled. He added that it was “all you can eat for a prix fixe. (it came to 2 1/2 plates each for four straight nights with bread, Merlot wine and salad). We only ate small lunches elsewhere. Call it gourmandism. (That was long ago. Only later did we learn that this delicacy with vinagarette originated at Harry's Bar in Venice).
- Pros:The Cradle of Romanesque Sculpture
- Cons:We Should Return (but cannot).
The statue to Peire Godolin (Goudouli) (1580-1649) in the Place Wilson leads to this comment. I am not a French scholar,... more travel advice
To the East of the Capitole lies the Square Charles de Gaulle also called the Jardin du Capitole. In this space the... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Toulouse Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "TOULOUSE most beautiful city of the world"
- "THE WEALTH OF TOULOUSE."
- "A Premium Visit"
- "The Rose City"
- "The pink city, Toulouse"
- "exploring the countryside by bicycle"
- "Five nights in Toulouse"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Toulouse
- Hotels in Toulouse
- Transportation in Toulouse
- Nightlife in Toulouse
- Restaurants in Toulouse
- Shopping in Toulouse
- Warnings and Dangers in Toulouse
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Toulouse
- 31 Reviews
- 138 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Toulouse?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Toulouse
Photos in ToulouseSee All Photos (138)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos