"Where Tourism, Art & Religion Merged: The Pilgrims" Vézelay by hquittner
Vézelay Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 198 photos
We were quite ready to take on the Basilica of Ste-Madeleine when we first visited Vezelay. We had been wallowing in early Burgundian Romanesque and had experienced the rebirth of sculpture in capitals and tympani in Toulouse, Moissac and Conques. We had seen Gislebertus' masterpieces in Autun. The inner tympani (under the Narthex of the church) were next! When it became time to record our experiences (15 years later) here in VT, we were amazed to find that none of our fellow travelers even mention the tympani or took pictures of them!
- Pros:A World Treasure
- Cons:You May Not Like What Viollet-le-Duc Did Here
- In a nutshell:What Would Be Here If Not for Him?
The Benedictine Abbey of Vezelay was founded in 878. As part of the complex a Carolingian church was built. Early in the... more travel advice
The nave is very long (200 feet compared to Notre Dame of Paris’ 198 ft; these are nave only figures; the total length... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Vézelay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The irresistable pull of Vezelay"
- "Vezelay, the Crusaders Town"
- "RICHARD the LION HEART was HERE"
- "Heavenly beautiful"
- "Where Tourism, Art & Religion Merged: The Pilgrims"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vézelay
- Hotels in Vézelay
- Transportation in Vézelay
- Restaurants in Vézelay
- Shopping in Vézelay
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Vézelay
- 7 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Vézelay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vézelay
Photos in VézelaySee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos