"Villeneuve Is Across the Rhone River from Avignon" Villeneuve-lès-Avignon by hquittner
Villeneuve-lès-Avignon Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 46 photos
Villeneuve-Les-Avignon (note that this place name must have a grave sign over the e of "les") is on the west side of the Rhone and is not in Provence. When it developed it was a free town and was in France across the river from Papal Avignon, but the Cardinals were allowed to live there in the 14C. From 1352-26, the Pope Innocent VI had the Certosa (Chartreuse de Benediction) built there on a hill at the edge of town.
The small city has a Musee Pierre de Luxembourg art museum. In it are two famous masterpieces. The first is an ivory tusk that has been carved as a multicolored Virgin of the 14C. The other is Enguerrand Quarton's "Crowning of the Virgin", the earliest example of great French painting.
In the apse of the church is the Tomb of Innocent VI which is made of white marble. The figure lies on a raised level.... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Villeneuve-lès-Avignon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The fine art of staring down the Antipopes"
- "Villeneuve Is Across the Rhone River from Avignon"
- "The other Avignon"
- "Villeneuve les Avignon, FR"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon
- Transportation in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon
- Restaurants in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon
- Warnings and Dangers in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Villeneuve-lès-Avignon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Where is VT email?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "In the Church Is the Tomb of Pope Innocent VI"
- Wrote a Review In the Church Is the Tomb of Pope Innocent VI in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon Things to Do
- created a Villeneuve-lès-Avignon Travel Page "Villeneuve Is Across the Rhone River from Avignon"
Photos in Villeneuve-lès-AvignonSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos