"A Castle with an Intact "Murder Hole" & More" Vitré by hquittner
Vitré Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 183 photos
We stopped in Vitre (15K pop) enroute to Mont-St.-Michel. We had a 10 yr old grandson in tow on his first trip abroad, and thought a real castle would be better to visit than another cathedral and would prepare the way for the Mont. It was raining intensely on and off , making it hard to take pictures due to rain and darkness. It also compromised walking on ramparts and town streets. On crossing the drawbridge we entered the "murder-hole"under the gate towers, which he was prepared to recognize and the rest easily followed. The primitiveness of the "good-life" in a military castle began to sink in. We did not see much of the old town but took refuge from yet another deluge in the Church of Notre Dame
The Courtyard is large with a prominent supply well near its center. The castle museum is mostly in one of the towers designed for living quarters, all the way to the domed roof.
The Old Town should be visited. The T.O. provides a handy guide. We think that Vitre is as good a visit as Fougeres, even though we were limited by the rain.
- Pros:An Old Intact Fortress Castle
- Cons:Rain interferes with being a tourist
- In a nutshell:We managed to have fun anyway; well worth a detour.
The church has two mausolea of the Espinay family from the late 16C. Both show capable stone carving. There is wood... more travel advice
There are many interesting walks mapped out in Vitre by the tourist office. We decided to explore the walled town and... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Vitré Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "VITRE - ANOTHER MEDIEVAL TOWN"
- "A Castle with an Intact "Murder Hole" & More"
- "Vitrè - Medieval Town"
- "The marshes of high Brittany, and a castle."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vitré
- Hotels in Vitré
- Transportation in Vitré
- Restaurants in Vitré
- Shopping in Vitré
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vitré
- 6 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Vitré?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vitré
Photos in VitréSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos