"Once a Castle, Now a Clubhouse & Vineyards" Vougeot by hquittner
Vougeot Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 31 photos
The Clos de Vougeot is both a working vineyard and a chateau. Today the buildings are a tourist venue with a conducted tour of ancient wine-making instruments, an audio-vsual presentation on the history and activites and a visit to rooms of the chateau of importance. The Chevaliers de la Tastevin, founded in 1934 with presently over 10,000 members, have rights to the use of the chateau granted by the owners: the Friends of the Chateau. ( a co-mingled but separate group). These benevolent groups are devoted to promoting all things Burgundian (but mostly the wine and drinking it). They have lavish meetings and ceremonies and are vigorous supporters of the annual wine sale in Beaune for the Hotel Dieu charity.
The vast area, originally the greatest source of income for the Cistercians of Citeaux, is today owned by some eighty owner-vintners with plots of varying sizes and individual productions. It continues to produce some of the finest Burgundies.
The interesting aspects of the tour are the old equipment and the siting of the present activities.
- Pros:A Different Use for a Chateau
- Cons:This is Not a Wine Tasting Tour
- In a nutshell:Worth a Visit??
This is the name of the Brotherhood formed in 1934 for the promotion of Burgundy wine and other cultural pleasures of... more travel advice
In keeping with its original work-a-day function, some of the winery support structures remain in the courtyard. more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Vougeot Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A chateau in the vineyards"
- "Once a Castle, Now a Clubhouse & Vineyards"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vougeot
- Transportation in Vougeot
- Nightlife in Vougeot
- Shopping in Vougeot
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vougeot
- 4 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (137)
Have you been to Vougeot?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vougeot
Photos in VougeotSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos