"Cochem: A Half-hearted Memory" Cochem by hquittner
Cochem Travel Guide: 217 reviews and 459 photos
We were disappointed with our short (one afternoon) visit to Cochem. It wasn't the weather, which was mild and dull (not raining).We were lucky to find immediate convenient parking ,although the parking mars the pretty riverfront.There were no crowds that day. The tourist office was curt (we did not want to buy any day trips) and shoved a crude map at us, reluctantly marking where we were.True, this was a short visit and we had just come from a stimulating and tiring morning at Burg Eltz. Before leaving there we had also assuaged our hunger with wurst and fries. We decided that one castle a day was enough and did not go to the only attraction in Cochem, the Reichsburg. There are no other indoor attractions. Luckily it did not rain.
We had briefly visited Andernach and were yet to be spoiled by Monschau or even Ahrweiler. But we also carried past memories of Rothenberg and Rudesheim and Disney World, plus all those Italian hill-towns and French villages. The intersting old buildings are few and well hidden behind store street racks and signs. Aside from a prominent steeple, a picture-card quality cluttered Markt (town square), a tower, a gate, an old church without a displayed interior and some narrow cobbled walking streets, we determined there were more merchandise racks than restaurant tables out in our path. We could not even find a place to view the castle from inside the town. In a while we became hungry and found an appetizing venue (of which there are many!). It faced a small square but the only view was of shoppers. But at least this gave us a chance to sip some Mosel wine and eat Spargel (white large asparagus) with Mayonnaise and boiled potatoes( the season craze).
If we were travelling in a different mode, Cochem could be a good place to bed down; a good place to go from and return to, assuming that you could plan enough places in this area to visit each day. There are many bus day tours and day river boat cruises. There are plenty of interesting looking small hotels and restaurants.A convivial evening (or long afternoon) of wine tasting and dining looks possible. As the French say "all cats are gray in the dark". We note that our sometimes utilized seniors tour company continually struggles to make their short Mosel adventure pleasant (they have a logistically mandated docking at Cochem) changing it every year.
- Pros:An interesting Castle looking down on a river town
- Cons:Another river town
- In a nutshell:Not worth a detour
In search of a light meal after an early wurst and roll wore off we found this place above the Marktplatz. The... more travel advice
The bus appears to run continuously during the hours the Castle is open (09.00-17.00 ) , mid-March to mid- November. It... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Cochem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- " A great castle in the lovely Mosel - valley"
- "We 'did' Cochem"
- "Cochem - One of my favorite towns on the Mosel"
- "Cochem, "die Mosel erleben""
- "cochem germany"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cochem
- Hotels in Cochem
- Transportation in Cochem
- Restaurants in Cochem
- Shopping in Cochem
- Warnings and Dangers in Cochem
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cochem
- 5 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Cochem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cochem
Photos in CochemSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos
Latest Cochem hotel reviews
- Hotel Triton
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 12, 2013
- Moselromantik Hotel Kessler Meyer
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013
- Hotel Germania
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 30, 2013
- Flair Hotel am Rosenhugel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 12, 2013
- Hotel Thul
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 14, 2013
- Hotel Karl Muller
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Alte Thorschenke
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 11, 2013