"Me and my travels" MissThing606's Profile

Me and my travels

I was born in London and I've lived here all London all my life, although I studied in Sunderland for four years and spent a year in Lowestoft, East Anglia.

I've been to a few places, but I?m planning to start travelling a lot!

I am Ghanaian by origin and I spent five years in boarding school there (1989-1994, aged 11-15). I've been on about five family holidays there too at ages 3, 7, 10, 21 and last 25.

I spent a week in Germany, visiting Karlsruhe and then (sp?)Schwatzwald in 1991.

In 1995, I went to Israel in a 10-day biblical tour, it was amazing! We went to Tiberius, then Jerusalem and spent a day in Eilat. Even being a moody 17-year-old didn't spoil it, well not too much!

I didn?t travel much after 17 as was in full-time education, as that does affect one's finances!

At the end of 200, I made a resolution to travel. And I'm happy to say it's starting! I've been on some weekends away, Glasgow and Belgium and I spent 5 days in Rome. I went to NYC in January 2005 and returned to Rome for another 4 days in November.

But I don?t know where to go next...I'm intrigued by North Korea, after reading about it on VT, or perhaps Brazil, or China. I'm going to try and make it Paris by the end of 2006, we'll see!

Solo traveler (most of the time)

Since 2005 I've been travelling solo - and it's great. I'd never dreamed of travelling anywhere on my own before then - I'd assumed that sad people with no friends went on holidays alone. The truth is, it's quite liberating.

The first time I went to Rome in September just after my birthday in 2004. I needed to get away so I picked somewhere with lots of sighseeing. I has such a good time I realised there was no big deal to it.

The next time happened by chance: I'd planned a trip to New York with friends in summer 2004 and one by one they pulled out. I was dissappointed but re-scheduled to go in early 2005 with one of the other people. She then pulled out and by this time I thought sod it, I'm going alone!

So now I plan getaways on my own. if I get invited to join groups holidays join in if I can. (like Malaga and Florence) Otherwise I make my own plans. The way I see it, I'd better do it now before I get too old.

To everyone who's scared to go solo, I say take the plunge. you might feel shaky at first but it's soo good!

• Intro Updated Mar 15, 2006

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• fishstick's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Happy Birthday from California

• raykey's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Happy Birthday Penny, have a nice one. Going to Ghana in November for the 1st time, really excited.

• abdulwa's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2011 at 9:09 AM

hope you enjoyed Ghana???takecare and looking forward to your coming back....

• Rabbityama's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2010 at 9:53 AM

North Korea does sound exciting! I hope you get to go! Happy birthday!

• spidermiss's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Hi Penny I'm a solo traveller too and love it! I remember how nervous I was when I first booked my solo trip but haven't looked back since...that was over 11 years ago! Happy travels, Dawn

• kopwint's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2009 at 2:25 AM

Happy and free in your days there, and get harmony and peaceful, and get success and strong, and get smart and attraction, and get healthy and wealthy, This is wishing you from Burma, Happy birthday....,

• Fullmoonfever's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2007 at 8:47 PM

I assume you know how much a great pair of shoes cost.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2007 at 7:45 AM

VT Meet Manchester - 24 November. Come and see the Christmas Markets and catch up with VT friends old and new! Gillybob greetings.

• Alex_71's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2007 at 8:34 AM

Hello from Florence in Italy, how are you doing? I miss London, but my dream is to go and visit Africa...i hope to do it one day not so far Take care

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
MissThing606's Profile Photo

MissThing606

“Life is too short to wear cheap shoes”

Real Name