"Traveling - In This I Believe" ellsasha's Profile

Viewpoint

My travels have taught me to value the life that I am privileged to live here in the developed world. I have seen the welcoming light in so many eyes as I have journeyed through this world. I have seen the sadness and suffering that living in abject poverty brings. I have spoken to many living on after living through dark periods of genocide. I have been invited into the homes of those with little material wealth but with such greatness of spirit and dignity that I have been humbled. I have celebrated the joy of peoples' weddings in exotic places and stood by quietly as people were carried to their graves. The world is a truly remarkable place - in this I still believe.

Ms. Piggy in One of the Pagodas on Tonle Sap

My animals re-energize my life. TiaMaria is my black lab, so named as she drinks gin and tonic (on the odd occasion she steals a sip, that is), so I wanted to name her after a drink! My kitties are Moses and Sasha total opposites but coexisting peacefully. The photo is of Ms. Piggy, one of my favourites; I met her at a Buddhist pagoda on Tonle Sap, where the young monks had cared for her since she was a tiny piglet. The monks for the most part are very young as many were killed during the days of the Khmer Rouge.

Landmines in Cambodia

Journeying to the overgrown temple of Beng Mealea my driver skirted areas of landmines one of which we saw explode (from a comfortable distance of about a quarter of a mile). The devastation caused by these devices defies description. I met people who had lost one or more limbs yet were valiantly trying to make a living by selling whatever they could find to sell. The people in the photo had either lost limbs or had been blinded by landmines; they played music all day to try to make enough money to live on. Their resolve was amazing and they maintained their self-esteem by avoiding having to beg. I believe in the strength of the human spirit.

• Intro Updated Mar 18, 2006

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Wish You A Very Happy And Prosperous New Year
    And May The Happiest Moments Of The Seasons
    Remain With You All The Time.

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2013 at 4:53 AM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Wishing you a very happy birthday Ellsasha!

• Usctwin's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Happy birthday!

• meiyergani's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Happy Birthday Elshasa....

• DaHongHua's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2012 at 9:47 PM

A warm happy birthday greeting from Malaysia. Hope you have more travellings and more VT sharings in the coming years.

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2011 at 4:03 AM

Thanks for your comments. I haven't read that book because I mostly find TF rather arrogant and biased, but I'm sure it's a good read. Either way, I hope his book (and my page?) will persuade you to visit Beirut. It really is unique and amazing. Cheers from Los Angeles!

• RAJASTHANBYCAR's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Dear Marjorie, I wish you very happy birth day in advance cheers. Mahavir Yadav

• jorgejuansanchez's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Thanks for your words, Ellsasha! Greetings from Spain. Jorge

• umashanker's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2009 at 2:04 AM

Hell Marjorie, Best wishes for 2009 and pray that new year brings peace and prosperity. Yes,I too remember your obersation West Asia and USA and mostly coming true.Best.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
ellsasha's Profile Photo

ellsasha

“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not." Ralph Waldo Emmerson”

Location