"Anuradhapura, The Lost Kingdom" Anuradhapura by explore_discover
Anuradhapura Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 269 photos
Anu-radha-pura Kingdom lasted one thousand and five hundred years from 380BC. This city is home to many of the earliest grandest monuments of Sri Lanka. A popular destination of Sinhalese Buddhist's prilgimage because of its many ancient Buddhist monuments.
Anuradhapura has been made royal capital by the king Pandukabhaya in 380 BC. It remained residence and royal capital for 119 successive Singhalese kings till the year 1000 AD when it was abandoned and the capital moved to Polonnaruwa. You will see some of the most famous as well as the tallest dagoba of Sri Lanka, remains from palaces, temples, monasteries, ceremonial baths and the temple of the holy Bo-tree. This tree was grown from a sapling of the very tree under which more than 2500 years ago the Buddha found enlightenment.
The sacred city of Anuradhapura, now in picturesque ruins, was once a major center of Sri Lankan civilization. The fascinating ancient ruins include huge bell-shaped stupas built of small sun-dried bricks, temples, sculptures, palaces, and ancient drinking-water reservoirs.
Today, city of Anuradhapura, with its palaces, monasteries and monuments, draws many Buddhist pilgrims and visitors.
Anuradhapura is of enormous hydraulic achievements. Nuwara Wawe (7 km across) to the east, & Tissa Wewa (spanning 65 hectares) & Baswakkulama Wewa to the west constructed to preserve the monsoon rains, supplemented with a system of sluices (valve-pit) (Bisokotuwa) were put in place to feed the thousands of smaller reservoirs that were built in the concept of "Ellangawa" (cascade of water) & keep the rice paddies productive. In the numerous minor irrigation networks, the systems provide water for domestic use & livestock, wildlife & recharge of groundwater while enhancing the village environment: multiple dimensions of the value of water.
explore_discover's Related Pages
Anuradhapura Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Ancient City of Anuradhapura"
- "First Ceylonese Capital"
- "The first great capital"
- "Ancient Capital of Sri Lanka (Ceylon)"
- "The Ancient city...."
- "The world’s mightiest masses of monumental masonry"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Anuradhapura
- Hotels in Anuradhapura
- Transportation in Anuradhapura
- Restaurants in Anuradhapura
- Shopping in Anuradhapura
- Warnings and Dangers in Anuradhapura
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Anuradhapura
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Anuradhapura?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Anuradhapura
Photos in AnuradhapuraSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Bangkok Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos
- Lamu Island Intro, 10 reviews, 45 photos
- Mahajanga Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos
- Nairobi Intro, 8 reviews, 36 photos
- Jakarta Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Ranong Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negombo Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos
- Antananarivo Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Toamasina Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (21)
Latest Anuradhapura hotel reviews
- Riverina Hotel
- 160 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 7, 2013
- Palm Garden Village Hotel
- 157 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Nuwarawewa Rest House
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 10, 2013
- Boa Vista Guest House
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 7, 2013
- Milano Tourist Rest
- 102 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013
- Galway Miridiya Lodge
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 23, 2013
- Hotel Shalini
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 20, 2013