"Negombo AKA Little Rome" Top 5 Page for this destination Negombo by explore_discover
Negombo Travel Guide: 87 reviews and 194 photos
Negombo has made its name as an youthful and western-influenced resort.
A new century has brought new ambition for a resort that had catered largely for the budget traveller. Its first five-star hotel – The Beach – has been followed by the opening of a Mark Warner watersports centre and that is already stirring new investment elsewhere.
Negombo’s proximity to the airport (and, don’t worry, that does not mean Heathrow noise levels!) makes it the first port of call for many backpackers and ensures that it retains a relative buzz for much of the year.
One hour north of Colombo, it also offers the chance to mix a beach holiday with forays into the capital.
Negombo is a relaxed environment where holidaymakers and Sri Lankan's haggle over this and that, flock to the numerous bars and restaurants, loll on a mile-long strip of broad, sandy tropical beach and generally mingle to an extent rarely seen elsewhere.
The broad, sandy beach now rivals all but the best on the west coast. For a convenient, value-for-money tropical holiday, there is no denying its appeal.
The Dutch colonial influence is most marked in the system of canals that extend all the way from Negombo south to Colombo and, more appealingly, north to Puttalam. You can hire a common-and-garden bicycle easily in Negombo to explore these canal paths,
Up the coast is Marawila, where the beaches are much quieter. Or you could visit Chilaw, a sleepy, picturesque fishing village, which attracts rather more prawns than tourists.
- Pros:Freindly Peoples
- Cons:Underdeveloped Infrastructure
- In a nutshell:Nice Place to be for once
From Airport to Negombo Beach Side 500 Sri Lankan Rupee (Need to bargain for this price) Travel Time around 15... more travel advice
Marlboro, Benson & Hedges and other brands are available there, I used to buy Henry Winterman Filter Tips Cigars from... more travel advice
explore_discover's Related Pages
Negombo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Negombo - Fisherman's Village"
- "Negombo AKA Little Rome"
- "Negombo - the best airport waitroom!"
- "Exotic and Remote Sri Lanka"
- "Negombo: You can do better than this."
- "Wild beach - crazy fish market"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Negombo
- Hotels in Negombo
- Transportation in Negombo
- Nightlife in Negombo
- Restaurants in Negombo
- Shopping in Negombo
- Warnings and Dangers in Negombo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Negombo
- 9 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Negombo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Negombo
Top 10 Pages
- Bangkok Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos
- Lamu Island Intro, 10 reviews, 45 photos
- Mahajanga Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos
- Nairobi Intro, 8 reviews, 36 photos
- Jakarta Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos
- Ranong Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negombo Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos
- Antananarivo Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos
- Toamasina Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos