"Lyallpur AKA Faisalabad" Faisalabad by explore_discover
Faisalabad Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 21 photos
Faisalabad is called Manchester of Pakistan. 3rd Largest City with population over 2.6 Million. It is having a lot of Textile and other mills.It is famous for its eight bazars. Faisalabad is an industrial city of Pakistan, Situated 225-miles (360 kilometers) south of the capital Islamabad. The city is linked to M-2 motorway (Islamabad-Lahore motorway) with M-3 motorway section (Pindi-Bhattian-Faisalabad motorway). Faisalabad (Formerly Lyallpur) is a road and railway junction, which lies in an area watered by the Lower Chenab Canal. Cotton, wheat, vegetables, and fruits are grown there and the city is also an industrial centre with railway-repair yards, engineering works, and mills that process sugar, flour, and oil seed. Produce includes super phosphates, cotton and silk textiles, hosiery, dyes, agricultural equipment, and ghee (clarified butter). Faisalabad is the site of the University of Agriculture, founded in 1909.
The city was founded by the British Governor General To Punjab Sir James Lyall for whom it was originally named Lyallpur. Prior to the British making the area into an urban center, it largely consisted of various villages. However, the construction of various canals allowed the area to be irrigated. After the founding of the city, people were invited to the city with promises of land if they were to work it. This allowed the city to grow rapidly. In 1977 city was renamed Faisalabad in honor of King Faisal of Saudi Arabia who had been assassinated.
explore_discover's Related Pages
Faisalabad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "FAISALABAD - The City where I Spent My Childhood"
- "Faisalabad - the city of eight bazars"
- "Adeel Tahir ka Faisalabad"
- "Lyallpur AKA Faisalabad"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Faisalabad
- Hotels in Faisalabad
- Transportation in Faisalabad
- Nightlife in Faisalabad
- Restaurants in Faisalabad
- Warnings and Dangers in Faisalabad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Faisalabad
- 1 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Faisalabad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Faisalabad
Top 10 Pages
- Bangkok Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lamu Island Intro, 10 reviews, 45 photos
- Mahajanga Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos
- Nairobi Intro, 9 reviews, 40 photos
- Jakarta Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos
- Toamasina Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ranong Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negombo Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos
- Antananarivo Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos