"Gilgit The Winner 2011 Polo Festival" Gilgit by explore_discover
Gilgit Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 161 photos
Gilgit is a located at an altitude of Aprox 1500 Meters (4800 Feet) in the North east of Pakistan . The city had been a central point of trade and political activity as early as 1st century AD. Since then it has always been a very strategic point for the neighboring countries. Surrounded by the massive mountains of Karakorums Gilgit is a small valley with a ground just enough to form a small city of 500,000 persons. Beyond here there is no such a big town or city in any direction within a distance of about 450 Kilometers in any direction. Gilgit is the administrative and commercial capital of Northern areas
Mountains of the region are known to be the highest and greatest in the Number around the world. Stretch of Gilgit comes in the rain shadow of Nanga Parbat Mountain i.e. The moon soon winds are blocked by the massive of Nanga Parbat and clouds can not reach Gilgit which makes it dry & rugged but the labor of the strong and willing local population has even claimed the hard mountains for cultivation's. Due to this there are beautiful green orchids of many fruits in the valley. This makes an spectacular contrast in the green fields and ruggedness on the mountains topped with white snow a scenery only found in the northern areas of Pakistan.
The road to Gilgit is an other adventure and beauty filled experience Karakorum Highway built Between 1966 to 1978 by the Chinese and Pakistani engineers, above the shoulders of gigantic mountains of Himalayas , Hindukush & Karakorum ranges. More than five hundred lives are buried under this marvelous road which is known all over the world for its beauty and variation in terrain and culture. The highway runs along the river Indus and later continuos to Gilgit on Gilgit river. Each stop of this highway will definitely force you to admire it
This Traditional Festival is held every year 2nd week of July, Tug of War between the Teams of Gilgit and Chitral and... more travel advice
Naltar is probably one of the most spectacular Excursions in Pakistan, for those who like a little bit of adventure. The... more travel advice
explore_discover's Related Pages
Gilgit Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gilgit The Winner 2011 Polo Festival"
- "Capital of the Northern Areas"
- "GILGIT - A Valley covered by magnificent mountains"
- "A nice place to discover"
- "MY GILGIT"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gilgit
- Hotels in Gilgit
- Transportation in Gilgit
- Restaurants in Gilgit
- Shopping in Gilgit
- Warnings and Dangers in Gilgit
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gilgit
- 6 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Gilgit?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gilgit
Photos in GilgitSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Bangkok Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lamu Island Intro, 10 reviews, 45 photos
- Mahajanga Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos
- Nairobi Intro, 9 reviews, 40 photos
- Jakarta Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos
- Toamasina Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ranong Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negombo Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos
- Antananarivo Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos