Sankt Gallen Things to Do Tips by Cristian_Uluru Top 5 Page for this destination
Sankt Gallen Things to Do: 47 reviews and 87 photos
yMarktplatz has been the main square of the market of the city during the Middle Ages.
It is located on the northern side of the old town and it is surrounded from beautiful houses built in the 17th and 18th century. Some of them are elegantly painted, others are in wood and masonry and decorated with sculptures in relief. Many of them have got nice bow windows.
Stiftsbibliothek is wonderful and from 1983 it is inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List. The Stiftsbibliothek was saved from the destruction during the Reform. The main room was planned by Peter Thumb between 1758 and 1767 and it is a wonderful Baroque masterpiece with elaborate rococo decorations. The floor, in wood, is elegantly inlay while the ceiling is adorned by workmanships in plaster made by brothers Gigl and with Trompe-oil paintings made by Joseph Wannenmacher. The library contains over 150000 books and manuscripts, among which there is the important collection of Irish manuscripts of the period between the 8th to the 11th century, miniatures of Carolingian school, and Egyptians sarcophaguses.
Stiftskirche: the altars
Wonderful are the baroque altars with plasters and fantastic paintings of Saints. The main altar is a work of J.S.Moosbrugger (1810) and the painting showing the Assumption Of the Lady made by Francesco Romanelli in 1645. The confessionals and magnificent carved wooden choir was made by J.To.Feichtmayer among 1763 and 1768.
More photos in this travelogue.
The wonderful interior of the church has got a single nave with a centrale dome preceded and followed by spans that create the aisle and the presbytery. The presbitery is separated by elegant railing made by J.Mayer in 1771. The walls and the spans are decorated with rococo decoration of green plasters made by the brothers' J.G. and M.Giggl, and by Wessobrunn. Fantastic are the paintings in the domes made by J.Wannenmacher.
More photos on this travelogue.
The monastery was founded in 613 and dedicated to Saint Gallus. During the Middle Ages was founded the famous schools of St. Gall, where arts, letters and sciences flourished.
The nowday cathedral was built among 1756 and1760 on project of the Italian architect G.G.Bagnato and J.J. Beer. In the following year Peter Thumb created the anterior part of the cathedral. The presbytery with a beautiful convex prospectus among two tall towers, was made on a project of J.M.Beer.
Abbey of St. Gall
The Abbey of St. Gall is a monumental complex made by different buildings. You must visit the wonderful Cathedral (Stiftskirche) and the Library (Stiftsbibliothek) inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List from 1983.
Gallussplatz is big beautiful square in front of the Abbey of St. Gall. All around it you can see wonderful half-timbered houses and Baroque one. A very beautiful half-timbered house is the Zur Jagerei built in 1576, the Sum Grunen and Zum Greif was built in 1680 and have got sculputeres on the facade; the Stadthaus built in 1589 has got a Renaissance facade.
Walking along the Markplatz towards the Abbey of St. Gall, you will find on your right the Laurenzenkirche. Originally this church belonged to the abbatial complex. During the 16th century it became the principal center of the Reform in Sankt Gallen. The actual Neo-Gothic aspect was made in the restructuring effected to halves the 19th century. The interior of the church has got three naves with geometric sketches to the walls.
This big square located near the oriental side of Markplatz is dominated by the candid facade of the Waaghaus, the ancient weighs built in 1583. Today it is the center of the city authorities and used for shows and concerts.
Cristian_Uluru's Related Pages
Sankt Gallen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The fantastic abbey of St.Gallen"
- "Sankt Gallen"
- "Another unscheduled stop, another festival!"
- "Sankt-Gallen - at the heart of Eastern Switzerland"
- "Monastery - Library - Embroidery - Old City"
- "Home sweet home"
- "Oriel windows galore"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sankt Gallen
- Hotels in Sankt Gallen
- Transportation in Sankt Gallen
- Nightlife in Sankt Gallen
- Restaurants in Sankt Gallen
- Shopping in Sankt Gallen
- Warnings and Dangers in Sankt Gallen
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lanang Hotels
- Male Island
- Gaviota State Park Hotels
- Soo Junction Hotels
- Beas Hotels
Badges & Stats in Sankt Gallen
- 9 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Sankt Gallen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sankt Gallen
Photos in Sankt GallenSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 258 reviews, 758 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii Intro, 114 reviews, 472 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 120 reviews, 341 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 157 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 80 reviews, 188 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 42 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 69 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Würzburg Intro, 37 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Innsbruck Intro, 38 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petra Intro, 58 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues