"Maulbronn monastery: a gem in Baden-Württemberg" Maulbronn by Cristian_Uluru
Maulbronn Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 105 photos
Maulbronn Monastery is constituted from a Cistercian abbey founded in 1147 and preserved nearly intact. It is considered the better examples of monastic monastery to the north of the Alps; here there are examples of all the architectural style from the Romanesque one to the Gothic one.
From 1993 it is incuded in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
The main church was consecrated in 1178 by Arnold, Bishop of Speyer. Many other buildings were bult during the 13th century. The west, east and north cloisters date back to the 14th century, as do most fortifications and the fountain house.
After the Reformation broke out in 1504, the monastery was given to a Protestant seminary (Evangelical Seminaries of Maulbronn and Blaubeuren) and some buildings were modified.
The monastery was inscribed on the World Heritage List in 1993 with this justification: The Maulbronn complex is the most complete survival of a Cistercian monastic establishment in Europe, in particular because of the survival of its extensive water-management system of reservoirs and channels.
The Monk's refectory is one of the biggest room of the monastery. It was erected during the Romanesque period: there you... more travel advice
The wonderful ambulatory has got a square shape. The south wing was built in 1210 and it is called the Reading Arcade... more travel advice
Cristian_Uluru's Related Pages
Maulbronn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Maulbronn monastery: a gem in Baden-Württemberg"
- "weekend at Maulbronn"
- "Built around a monastery"
- "Maulbronn Abbey"
- "Maulbronn Monastery"
- "My Maulbronn"
- "A Wombat in Maulbronn Abbey"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maulbronn
- Hotels in Maulbronn
- Transportation in Maulbronn
- Restaurants in Maulbronn
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Maulbronn
- 10 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Maulbronn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maulbronn
Photos in MaulbronnSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 258 reviews, 758 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii Intro, 114 reviews, 472 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 120 reviews, 341 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 157 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 80 reviews, 188 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 42 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 69 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Würzburg Intro, 37 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Innsbruck Intro, 38 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petra Intro, 58 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (103)
Latest Maulbronn hotel reviews
- Klosterpost Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 25, 2012