Dinant Things to Do Tips by Cristian_Uluru Top 5 Page for this destination
Dinant Things to Do: 91 reviews and 158 photos
Maison Adolphe Sax
Adolphe Sax is one of the most important sons of Dinant. He borned here in 1814 and he best known for inventing the saxophone. In his house you can see some examples of saxophones and music. A big statue is located in front of the house.
The other important man of Dinant was Dominique Pire who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1958.
St.Martin's Gate was the ancient Salmier or Sibert gate which was incorporated in the ramparts and gives on the bank. On the wall you can see an inscription, dating 1637, says "ique la paix et la sauvegarde soient données a ceux qui servent la neutralité (may peace and safety be granted to those who serve neutrality).
Address: Rue Grande
Hotel de Ville
The Hotel de Ville was built in the 17th century. In the courtyard there is the monument to the 674 citizens of Dinant killed by the German on 24th August 1914.
Address: Rue Grande
The Citadelle was built in the eleventh century on the rock above the town. It was rebuilt in 1530 by the bishops of Liège and destroyed by French in 1708. The Dutch rebuilt it in the actual shape between 1818 and 1821. Nowday it is the home of the Musée d'Armes where you can see weapons and Belgian customs. From the terrace you have a fantastic view over the town.
Stained glass windows
The stained glass windows of the Collegiale Notre Dame are wonderful. In the apse you you can see some nice examples showing saints and apostles. The best stained glass windows is the big one you can see in the right transept: it shows episodes of the New and of the Old Will.
You can see more photos on the travelogue.
Collegiale Notre Dame: interior
The interior of Collegiale Notre Dame is amazing: it has got three naves with a nice green light coming fromt he windows. As you can see from the photos the interior is in Gothic style with high pillars. Very nice is the wooden pulpit with saints. On the main altar there is a very nice altarpiece made in the 16th century with scenes of the life of Christ.
The south gateway
The Collegiale Notre Dame have got two gateways. On the west gateway (which was under restauration in 2008) you can see scenes of the universal judgment made in the 16th century; on the south one (built in 1375), on the cusps, you can see the Lady, the resurrection and apostles.
Collegiale Notre Dame
Collegiale Notre Dame is probably the main attraction of the town and it is the perfect sobject of photos witn on the background the Citadelle.
The cathedral was built on the ruins of a previous church that was destroyed by a rock in the 1227. The actual church was built among 1227 and 1279 in Gothic style. The facade of the cathedral is incomplete and among the two incomplete towers was built the beautiful bulb bell tower in 1566.
You can see the whole facade from the other side of the River Meuse.
More Reviews (6)
Cristian_Uluru's Related Pages
Dinant Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "In the neighbourhood of the born place of the Saxo"
- "Dinant, river Meuse-town with an amazing setting"
- "Dinant: a wonderful Belgian gem"
- "DINANT - SAX AND THE CITY"
- "Beautiful city on La Meuse"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dinant
- Hotels in Dinant
- Transportation in Dinant
- Restaurants in Dinant
- Shopping in Dinant
- Warnings and Dangers in Dinant
- See All...
Explore the World
- Sherbrooke Hotels
- Two Rocks Hotels
- Flic-en-Flacq Hotels
- Sagay Hotels
- Kampung Kuala Linggi
Badges & Stats in Dinant
- 14 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Dinant?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dinant
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 258 reviews, 758 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii Intro, 114 reviews, 472 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 120 reviews, 341 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 157 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 80 reviews, 188 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 42 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 69 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Würzburg Intro, 37 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Innsbruck Intro, 38 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petra Intro, 58 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues